Sunday, June 30, 2019

Crowd Funding!

The term "crowd funding" has a complicated set of emotional reactions for me. I guess most of my reactions are more negative than positive.. 

I think this is related to the fact that I believe art is absolutely necessary for a healthy culture to exist and I believe that artists should be supported as such.  When artist have to reach out to the greater community to help them get their projects funded, it feels to me like there are some serious cracks in what we value in society. I mean look at the value we place on sports. Not that sports are not valuable, but the disproportionate amount of money that goes to athletes, in comparison to a teacher, a pediatrician or and artist. What does that say about what we value? 

Not to mention the popular crowdfunding platforms for people who need financial help through tough medical situations, what does that say about our healthcare system? It makes me angry, and the fact that crowd funding even exists points to the broken socio-political systems we live within.

And yes, sure the crowd funding platforms can ignite more interest as they are personal advertisements for their causes. And yes, I feel very grateful to have partial funding for a project of this size. And it's simply not quite enough to get it done. And so, I like many, resort to crowd funding to ask for support and get my art into the world. 

Now that we are clear on how I feel about it...jeez.

This project is HUGE, and I do need a little help to get it through the finish line. (get that sports reference). Every little bit helps, there is no way I could build this without your support, and I am ever grateful for the opportunity to make thought provoking sculptures!

The making of the video below was a fun project in itself, and I am lucky to have a brother in law, Cles, whose talent is abounding in film and editing. Thank you Cles!

Enjoy a glimpse into the build of the Flybrary! If you can contribute please go to:
GoFundMe/f/flybrary


and here's the video:

No comments:

Post a Comment