Sunday, March 31, 2019

Left Brain Right Brain

How to build something large, multi dimensional, with more than 20ft of cantilevered weight at the top of the sculpture is not an easy problem to solve. Christian and I brainstormed one evening while luxuriously soaking at Ojo Caliente, and we came up with a few ideas of how to really tackle this puzzle with the hard fact that it needs to come apart into many small pieces to fit within a standard 40ft shipping container for transport. 
And it needs to be free standing. And it will have loads of weight within, not only books and their shelves, but catwalks and hanging lighting. Tricky stuff.
Most likely the face components and the inside catwalks will be hanging off an engineered free standing 4 truss structure, which will bolt and unbolt into smaller components. 

I managed to sculpt the head that I imagined out of clay. Once I cut into the head to create the planes I wanted, I noticed that one side was slightly different from the other.  After looking at pictures of the clay model flipped, the difference was really obvious.


Different enough that I had to pick a side in order to make the planes work. I thought this was all together interesting as I was biased towards the left side of the face. My right brain, the one responsible for imagination, creativity and visualization is probably also responsible for my left side bias. After some photoshop magic, I made a face that is more or less symmetrical, and one that can now be used to figure out the planes.

How to transfer this onto a computer, well that is another story. Below is a start of trying to decipher the planes so that it still reads as the face I want. 

And that's where the project is at this very moment. Much more to come.





No comments:

Post a Comment