Saturday, April 13, 2019

Planar (adj.) in the form of geometric planes

To take something three dimensional, asymmetrical and very rounded, like a face and transfer it into a planar structure is complicated. To make it look like something other than a transformer mask is even more challenging. Especially for my brain. I have been trying to get the planes defined and still keep the movement and the feel of the face intact. After several ambitious attempts working through the clay model to generate a 3D model on the computer, I may have a planar head, but with many more planes than I need for this build. 

Then there is cardboard, which is a great medium to work with, as you can really see the immediate planes, and thanks to Christian's incredible ability to translate the organic into the geometric (one of his amazing skills) I now have a much closer approximation of the head in simple planar shapes(and I can touch them)
So this is where I am now- making significant decisions around size based on what will fit into a shipping container, and the various material choices to build it. After weight calculations, the engineers will spec out the raw materials and I can start the build. All this in the next two weeks. It's in this current phase of the build that all important aesthetic decisions get made. It does keep me up at night, as I go over the design for the millionth time, but it's also the core foundation for a successful build...
...lots more soon!



No comments:

Post a Comment